What's your favorite Linux Distro?

Fedora with Mate

I switched from having kubuntu as my main distro to using manjaro KDE. I like it

1 Like

I recently installed Manjaro KDE on a Macbook Air and I have been enjoying it.

1 Like

How’s that running. Every time I put Linux on the mac it made it sound like it was the space shuttle taking off. The power management / battery life always seems to be lacking.

1 Like

Hi All,

Ubuntu Mate here… =)

Go all the way back to RedHat 3.something… Used most of them over the years… Getting them to work and then seeing how thin I could get it was half the fun back then…But now Ubuntu just works and I still can’t bring myself to like Gnome3… Miss Slack and dropline… Thinkin about tryin an LFS again just to see if I can still do it =)… But I ramble…

Later.
-Sno

It has been good, though the most frustrating part is making sure refind works after an update to High Sierra. The battery reporting seems odd as Manjaro will say it is almost dead then when I boot into High Sierra it says it is at 50% which is odd, but I never leave home without a power cord.

Linux Mint for work, Manjaro to play about, All the others to have fun with

1 Like

Hey,i think TrueOS is attracting me,Although installing always fail,there is no rEFund installed in post intall ,no TrueOS bootup and i have a look through partition manager,No boot and EFI patition in there!Both pure install,dual boot with Windows 10 buld 1709 lastest.So i have to back to Fedora 27 ok to me and DNF help me to find what i to do a lot of time,and Zorin is good looking as early-teens girl neat and fast i think,and last think Kali but my-con is i am a noobie-Linux fan.i’m gonna try Kali when i have skills enough.
So…Could y’all tell me what are cons in Fedora 27 and Zorin(education free distro)
PS.if it could run game like Rising Strom 2 ,Escape From Tarkov(without risky in wine) must be the best thing4me in Linux’s Arm :blush:

I use Arch Linux. But sadly I have not used any Arch Linux for about 3 years. I will very likely go back to it very soon because I love it so much. Well not so true. I have a sort of love hate with Arch mostly because I screw it up sometimes by doing a pacman -Syu and watching updates screw the machine up. Then hate myself for not checking the news before updating. x)

I’ve used a lot of other distros. Gentoo extensively. I got sick of compiling stuff all the time instead of just using the OS. I’ve used slackware even further back. Hardest distro to build was LFS (Linux from scratch). My current linux toy thing is a NAS server which runs OMV (Open Media Vault). I’d go with FreeNAS but apparently need ECC Ram for that file system they use.

My next project is to build a passively cooled water cooled linux server / vm / experimental / gaming arch linux rig. Hopefully turns out well.

Go easy on me because I’m new to discord and this whole forum thing is a little confusing at the moment.

update: I’m now running arch with KDE and looking to transition to i3 or i3-gaps

Ive been using Fedora since Sorcerer went belly up. Now that was a great OS.

I like an obscure distro called Tahr Puppy Linux. It was originally made so that people who had older hardware could have a superfast system (Which still is the idea) Its also the easiest thing I’ve seen to set up and does the least harm if you insist on having Windows on the same box. But why anyone would do that? Friends don’t let friends run Microsloth Windoze… Its nice to see a place for squirrels to diso with robots. Lama Lama Lama yah man! Warning I have snuck up on a Squirrel.

Know about Puppy, and happy to see how much love exists for Arch.

I have a server that I put Arch on years back, and I’m still trying to recover. Anyone know any good tutorials? :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve used Arch linux for almost 2 years, but recently heard about all the systemd stuff, so I switched to Void linux, it’s stable, small, lightweight and fast, it has runit as init system and it’s easy to install with their ncurses installer(it’s actuallly quite nice to use), it was pretty easy to get up and running. It does take a while to get used to their package manager(xbps) but it’s fast also!

Mint XFCE latest. Switched fast from Cinnamon because of speed which i greatly appreciate.

1 Like

I use Kubuntu on the daily basis.

I was from Ubuntu (Unity) until shortly after they announced its cancellation.

There are so many distros I want to use but there is always some piece of hardware that just doesn’t work. I keep going back to Fedora for the “it just works” factor.

I found Arch by accident trying to replace ubuntu when steam comes to linux,

I love arch at first sight because latest drivers but overtime i have problems with the stability of SO, then searching i found Manjaro (Arch derivated) that IMO is a good average between bleeding and the other world, Hybrid GPU and non hybrid works out of the box, and this distro adds lots of little tools to manage things like kernels, drivers, and updates all are very useful.

1 Like

Gentoo ftw! Just kidding. Way too much of a hassle :grin: Although if you want a good challenge and want to learn everything about Linux, build a Gentoo system.

Debian based systems for me probably. I ran Mint for a few years, but recently switched to OpenSUSE. I always hear good things about OpenSUSE, so I figured Id give it a try. Running Gnome DE, and so far I like it.

Kubuntu for me, since 2010… Before that I had 2 years of experimenting with all the usuals like Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Opensuse… I’ve run other distros on other machines/laptops since 2010, Manjaro, Korora, Netrunner, Bodhi, M4linux, LinuxLite, Mint, Deepin, but Kubuntu is my main workstation and I will take anybody down who tries to get between me and it… Because I think i’m actually in love with it… I have deeper feelings than one should have for their OS…